Sunday, October 11, 2009

Where I'm From by Ms. Williamson

Where I Am From
Nodja Williamson

I am from a brick barbeque pit, from Tide
and 409

I am from the sweet floral gardens
the morning glories, the pomegranate bushes

I am from muscadine jelly and country baking,
from Louise and Jerry
and radio Turner

I am from I told you so
and a mind of your own

From sweet dreams and I love you’s
I am from Psalms 23
Grandma reading the Bible every day to me

I‘m from Georgia,
Barbeque chicken and fried potatoes

From the aroma of Grandmother’s Sunday dinner
the childhood memories of mom on the farm
and the times dad pretended to be a race car driver
racing in the dirt

I am from the China cabinet and the walls surrounding it
the priceless frame in which we live
holds the lives of past, present, and much love within.

No comments: